ORBX’s Jarrad Marshall showed preview images of the scenery he is working on. Telluride, Colorado (KTEX).
I am very much excited to unveil my latest airport for you all, KTEX Telluride Regional Airport in Colorado! After a slightly protracted gestation period due to Quad Installer work* and some important real-life events, work is far enough advanced for me to lift the lid on this airport. Designed to blend seamlessly with FTX Global Base, Telluride follows on from the recent Eagle-Vail Airport package, and provides the perfect location to explore dramatic scenery of the Rockies and southern Colorado. This product not only includes an highly-detailed rendition of Telluride Airport, but also an enormous 1250km2 coverage area, encompassing not only the airport vicinity, but also the townsites of Telluride, Ouray and Silverton, the world-famous Telluride ski fields at Mountain Village, and large sections of the San Juan Mountain Range, famous for its many 14,000ft peaks.
KTEX itself is generally considered the Highest Commercial Airport in the United States, with an elevation of 9078ft above sea level. Whilst this title still retains common use, airline services to the airport have been inconsistent over recent years, with the most recent RPT flights operated by Great Lakes Airlines in 2014. Nevertheless, the airport is a highly popular destination with business jet and high-performance general aviation aircraft, particularly during peak ski season – with many affluent (and famous!) residents flying into the airport taking advantage of the local FBO facilities.
Aside from providing a jaw-dropping backdrop, the imposing terrain surrounding Telluride combines with volatile and unpredictable weather conditions, as well as strict noise abatement procedures, to ensure that the airport is one of the most challenging in the world. I have spent a considerable amount of development time ensuring that the extended approaches into the airport are recreated in full detail, to ensure that your by-the-book arrivals and departures are as realistic as possible. Located a short flight away from Eagle-Vail and Denver Intl airports, Telluride is ideally situated for GA flights into the heart of the Rockies, short commuter flights to other well-known Colorado destinations, and also short-medium regional flights to other well known ORBX destinations such as Sedona, Monument Valley, Jackson Hole and Palm Springs.
As always, I have spent a huge portion of the development process tweaking the scenery for maximum performance, in expectation that it will be used with your favourite resource-heavy high-performance GA aircraft or bizjet. I hope these screenshots provide a good idea of what to expect – stay tuned for more updates and new features in the coming weeks.
* For those waiting on the KPSP Quad – news on this will be ready very soon!
– Ultra-detailed rendition of KTEX Telluride Regional Airport
– Huge 1250km2 coverage area at 30cm and 1m – including the towns of Telluride, Mountain Village, Ouray and Silverton, portions of the San Juan Mountains and several prominent mountain passes and valleys.
– Unique and Highly Detail Static Aircraft
– New, updated and unique GSE fleet unique to KTEX
– Advanced rendering, ambient occlusion and night-lighting methods used for maximum realism
– Custom landclass, vector data, custom seasons file and 10m Holgermesh to ensure maximum fidelity and blending into surround Global terrain.
– Plenty of VFR landmarks and POI to explore including nearby Resorts and Ski Lifts and many more TBA.
– Unique airport Custom Terrain Model to overcome smoothing limitations in default terrain engine.
– Full suite of ObjectFlow, PeopleFlow2, TextureFlow and more included
– General Aviation AI Flight Plans included (requires free FTX NA AI to be installed)
– Strongly optimised for good performance with complex aircraft types
– Designed to blend seamlessly with FTX GLOBAL (Base) in P3Dv3/v2 and FSX/FSX:SE